Your new build property will have a 10 years structural warranty cover from the date of the completion of the property - our technical audit team make the final checks and issue what is called a “Certificate of Acceptance” once they are happy that the property is ready to be moved in!
DEFECTS INSURANCE PERIOD (AKA MAINTENANCE PERIOD OR LIABILITY PERIOD)
During the first 12 months of cover for a new build or converted property, if you do find any problems with your property, it will be up to the developer (contractor for self build projects) to put things right. Make sure you keep hold of their details once you've bought your property and speak to them about the process of reporting problems.
If you can't come to an agreement with your developer (contractor for self build projects) about carrying out the repairs or they fail to carry them out, your structural warranty cover allows you to call Premier Guarantee and we will help you to get the work done as quickly as possible.
STRUCTURAL INSURANCE PERIOD
During the remaining 9 years of your cover, your first point of call will be to call Premier Guarantee and let us know about your issue. We will then be able to tell you if you are covered under your warranty. We provide protection for the following elements of your home:
- Load bearing parts of ceilings, floors, staircases, walls and roofs;
- Non-load bearing partition walls;
- Chimneys and flues;
- Roof coverings;
- External finishing surfaces (including rendering);
- Floor decking and screeds;
- Wet applied plaster;
- Double or triple glazed panes to external windows and doors;
- any common parts retaining or boundary walls forming part of or providing support to the structure;
- any path or roadway within the perimeter of such property;
- the drainage system within the perimeter of such property for which the Policyholder is responsible;
- any garage or other permanent out-building.
If you would like more information on how these are covered, you can check your Policy Document.
Depending on the cover you (or your developer or the project’s contractor) has chosen with Premier Guarantee, you may also have any of the following:
- Waterproofing of Roofs: Repairing or replacement of the waterproofing of roofs as well as repairing or replacement of other parts of the insured property caused as a result of a defect in the waterproofing of the roof.
- Waterproofing of External Walls: Repairing or replacement of the waterproofing of external walls as well as repairing or replacement of other parts of the insured property caused as a result of a defect in the waterproofing of the external walls.
- Waterproofing of Basements: Repairing or replacement of the waterproofing of basements as well as repairing or replacement of other parts of the insured property caused as a result of a defect in the waterproofing of the basements.
- Alternative Accommodation Costs: This section of cover provides customers with additional cover for the costs of providing alternative accommodation in the event of an insured property becoming uninhabitable as the result of a defect covered under our policy. Cover is provided for up to 26 weeks whilst defects are being repaired or rectified.
Cover is provided for:
- Removal Costs;
- Storage Costs;
- Accommodation Costs;
- Loss of Rental Income: This section of cover provides additional cover for losses incurred through an inability to collect rental income in the event of a property becoming uninhabitable as the result of a defect covered under the policy. Rental income is defined as the standard amount of rent and payments for services provided for lease of the insured property and cover is provided for up to 26 weeks whilst defects are being repaired or rectified.